Shhh, You’ll Wake The Living

That pretty much sums up our lives these past few weeks. If it weren’t for a few errands and a couple of birthdays this week, I’m thinking Nat and I would’ve been ready for the looney bin. This is another reason why I’m not posting on a fairly regular basis. A waste of time and space – so I’m posting on a weekly basis only to make it look more exciting!

Sunday January 16th started off quiet enough. Our usual routine of Nat doing crosswords and me watching Sunday Morning. We were storing up our energy for the trip into Niagara Falls just after lunch for Lucas’ 14th birthday. Grandma can no longer call him the “little guy” as he’s growing into a young man faster than any of us adults want to admit. He was elated at his gifts of cold hard cash and gift cards so he can shop ’til he drops for clothes and grooming products. Looking to be that “sharped dressed man” to attract the young ladies, Lucas will be the first to admit that is not his aim, but you can see the twinkle in his eyes whenever the subject is brooched.

As we had to be at Gail’s for her 65th birthday get-together at a 6:00 pm that same day, we decided not to go home after Lucas’ party, but rather head into St. Catharines and maybe check out a few of the big box stores on 4th Avenue. We walked around Best Buy to browse the latest and greatest in electronics and noticed how much smaller the CD aisle had become. With everyone choosing to download their music to MP3 players or iPods, it was evident that the music industry was going into a whole new direction. We then headed over to Swiss Chalet for supper and then off to Gail’s for another nice get together with family and friends. We left for home by 8:30 as it had been a long day, and it wasn’t long after settling into his easy chair, Nat dozed off. The TV viewing was that boring!!

Monday the 17th saw us staying home. Nat had had a restless night and with very little sleep he just wanted to stay put. Our son-in-law had asked for a new supply of business cards, so while Nat was lounging by the fire, I hibernated in the office to design some new cards to pop in the mail the next day for Tom.

Tuesday morning saw me waking up with the whim whams. It was my turn for a restless night and with the two of us in no mood to do much, we decided to at least get out and wander around the Seaway Mall in Welland. Not having been there in a year or so, it was a pleasant surprise to see what new stores had arrived and walk around that now infamous Food Court where the Christmas carolers had popped up everywhere singing and which video went viral on You Tube. Having found a top on sale at Sears I was beginning to get into the “shopping” mood. Wearing my favourite pair of shoes that were now about to sprout holes in their soles, we checked out a better known shoe store whereupon I found a great a pair of loafers in a narrow size that is so rare to find nowadays.

Waking up in perkier spirits, I headed into Niagara Square Wednesday morning for some quiet time of my own. That lucky little shopping fairy was still sitting on my shoulders, as I found a great duvet cover on sale (something Nat and I have been looking for) and, along with finding a couple of great white blouses, I drove home ready for the rest of the day.

The winter months, so far, have not been too exciting (as you can tell) for Nat and I, except for that bloody sump pump incident. It’s true what the pros say, you need fresh air and sunshine to keep mentally fit. Having never really fully recovered from my mental fatigue at Christmas, my emotions were still running north, south, east and west, including back and forth from Timbuktu. Wednesday afternoon saw Nat and I talking things out. He could tell that I’ve been edgy and down on myself lately and expressed his concerns. He wanted to be put in the loop and discuss why I wasn’t my perky self. Of course, being a man and knowing his understanding would only go so far, I was only forthcoming with some of my thoughts. It’s been tough for me to accept the fact that this house is taking up a lot of our funds and we no long have the freedom to do what we want and when we want. I’ve been finding it frustrating to see good money go to things that I can’t see, feel or wear!! Nat agreed that it’s been frustrating at times and he, too, felt at odds with how we could accomplish everything we wanted to. We were very much in sympatico and, as always, my mind was blowing things a bit more out of proportion than necessary. Our afternoon had now turned into early evening and we both agreed that we needed to have this kind of talk more often. It felt good and a lot of tension was relieved from both of our shoulders.

Thursday morning Nat and I both awoke from a better sleep. We headed into Fort Erie – me for my flu shot and then to the drug store for some shopping. The afternoon saw us sitting down and finally discussing our trip to Britain that we both desperately wanted to make. With a sketchy outline of what and where we wanted to go, Friday morning we drove into Niagara Falls to the CAA Office for a recent map of Britain and some advice on air and train costs. After having our questions answered we drove over to Zehr’s for groceries, knowing that Saturday we were suppose to wake up to more snow and even colder temperatures. The weather man was right – Saturday and Sunday were going to be snow days!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s