This Thing Just Keeps Draggin’ On

Labour Day was quiet and only saw Tom and Susan coming by late afternoon to drop off a load of their garage sale items. After a really good clearout, the Dagenais family has quite the collection of stuff to be sold. There’s so much stuff that two garage sales will be warranted. With Susan having a hard time organizing and pricing things for her sale, I volunteered to help her and along with her two girls’ assistance, we’ll hopefully have a successful sale. They’ve also decided to have the sale at our house – right on a main road, good corner and exposure and more parking available around the house. We’ll give the first garage sale a try here and maybe the second one can be at their house. Here’s hoping the good weather stays with us.

As my procedure at St. Joseph’s was on Tuesday at 7:00 am, I had to do the usual fasting and prep work on Monday, so Nat and I stayed close to home. We actually weren’t in the mood to do much else as it turned out, and with Susan and Tom coming by, there wasn’t much time. As it also turned out we were both early to bed that evening because of the ungodly hour we had to be on the road Tuesday.

We were up and at ’em by 4:30 am Tuesday and on the road by 5:15. We decided not to take the back roads (as we usually do) and naturally the QEW was 15 minutes faster and we arrived with time to spare. In fact, the office we had to report to wasn’t even open yet, so we wandered around the hospital lobby for a few minutes and had a chance to catch our breath. Neither one of us had slept the night before and we were both tired but knew this would soon be over.

As luck would have it, the procedure was only half successful. Surgery will be required and is scheduled for sometime in October. After discussions with the two surgeons involved, getting our questions answered, and grabbing a drink (I was starving), we headed for home by 10:30 am. We grabbed a bite to eat and with that we zonked out on our respective easy chairs, tired, exhausted, frustrated and a bit over-whelmed by everything.

Tuesday night we both had what we felt was a better sleep and Wednesday morning saw us still out of sorts by the whole affair. Nat was off to his golf game this afternoon and I took the chance to do nothing – and I do mean nothing. I managed to read a magazine on the back patio, did a little research on the computer and ended up turning on the television and becoming brain dead. Hopefully we’ll now get back into our usual routine for a few weeks until this whole affair rears its ugly head again in October. As with all things in my life, nothing comes easy.

One thing I am looking forward to is my library work that begins mid-September. The kids are back to school and an orientation meeting has been scheduled for volunteers who’ll be helping the little tykes with their reading after classes. While helping them with their reading, I’m hoping the little guys will help me, too. There’s always something special about little kids – lots of laughter and not yet spurned by a lot of life’s lessons!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s