Thought This Day Would Never Come

Tah Dah!!!! We made it. The move is over and we’re in our new digs at last. 

The move went really well – Bird’s Moving & Storage were completely professional and we couldn’t have been more pleased. It was, however, a long day as there wasn’t much Nat and I could do, while the pros were doing their thing. We were both up at 4:00 a.m. on Thursday just to get those last minute items packed and by the time the movers were gone from our new home it was close to 3:00 p.m. After the dust had settled Nat and I finally had a chance to just sit down by 7:00 p.m. As the TV wasn’t out of the box yet, we had a seat, chatted for a few minutes and then hit the hay by 9:00 p.m. Very unusual for the two of us. Plus we still couldn’t believe how tired we both were.

When Thursday morning finally came, like I said we were up at 4:00 a.m., and the movers arrived promptly at 8:00 a.m. with their huge 18 wheeler with sleeper cab – all bright, shiny and new – and pretty neat!!! My dear brother, Clair, (an ex-trucker) would have even thought it was a pretty good looking vehicle!! And we were off and running!! The least of our worries that day was to direct the pros to where to put each box or piece of furniture. And as I said an extremely long and tiring day!

On Friday morning Nat was up very early and ran back into St. Catharines to pick up a few last items that the movers couldn’t take – paint, gas tanks for the BBQ, a couple lamps and the like – then gave the old house a once over with the vacuum, said his personal goodbyes and returned to his now new home. Meanwhile I tried to unpack as many boxes as I could. We really wanted to get the bathroom, kitchen and a good part of the living room up and running so we could at least have some sort of “home life” while we were still unpacking a mega amount of boxes. Plus it was now coming back to haunt us – all of those little things that you find have been neglected and can’t be seen while the home is still furnished.

We discovered that the electrical outlets aren’t all working. Some of the plugs have only the bottom outlet working, and then there are light switches that don’t turn anything on (that we know of, at least). There’s also the issue of the cut up linoleum in the laundry room (previously hidden by a rug) and the dryer hose is outdated and Nat can’t get to all of it as it’s hidden by walls!!!!!! Oh yes, and we have cable wires hanging everywhere downstairs!! So we’ve got our work cut out for us and we’ll have to pick our battles, one day at a time!!

As we spent a couple of nights without drapes for the main window in the living room, we had to go back into Niagara Falls to get some. Decided to do that Friday afternoon, so off we went. We cleaned the store out of that particular sheer – we needed 6 to 7 panels – and we still would have more to buy down the road for other windows. We also had to pick up a shower curtain and rod so we could shower in relative privacy!! All those “little” items were now starting to add up. We haven’t even gotten quotes for a new garage door, which is another essential. Having to lift that sucker by hand (no garage door opener) is starting to take its toll on Nat (and even me, just watching). Turns out this is door is not set up to take an opener, plus we really want to get an insulated door that would be installed properly. The present one has rails that look like they’re not finished and the whole door seems a little shaky. Again, another neglected or badly installed item that we’ll have to contend with.

Today we managed to get a little bit more done. Nat had to hang the new sheers in the living room, while I attempted to get more of the kitchen unpacked. Naturally as soon as I started on one thing I would drift to another room and start on something completely new. Plus Nat was having a couple of problems with the drapes and needed some assistance. But somehow I managed to at least clear a few items and we’re not tripping over boxes. We also had to go for a good supply of groceries this morning. That turned out to be a surreal experience. Nat remarked that he had a feeling of being on holiday and we were shopping for the month. We were in a completely new store, a completely new little town and living in a completely strange new home – it was just bloody cold out!!!! We realize this is going to take several weeks to get into some sort of routine, once we get the majority of the boxes unpacked, and we can settle down to some order.

So Nat’s down for the night – his beloved Maple Leafs are playing (he had to miss Thursday’s game – no TV) – and I can hear by the announcer the score is 1-1 which for the first period is pretty good. I’m about to go and putter in the kitchen and try to get my new double pantry all set up!! Plus I have a dishwasher now!!! You have no idea how thrilling that is to me, a person who loves to bake and can use every mis en place bowl in the house!!! With time I’ll be able to bake, wash dishes, and still listen to what’s going on in the rest of the house, as everything is right around the corner!!! Time, time, everything takes time!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s